Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Drum & Bass Saved My Life...

this week has been pretty somber, with the exception of working my "side gig" on Sunday my only real excitement has been speeding through rock creek park during rush hour listing to Nu:Tone-Back of Beyond and being reminded of why I love Drum & Bass so much.

I remember the first time i ever heard drum & bass...on MTV at that, you know when MTV actually played *gasp* music videos! I was going though a terrible bout of insomnia caused by depression (my home situation) and anxiety (my high school situation) and Roni Size-Reprazent came on at 3am....i though i lost my fucking mind. Being from the Nintendo/Atari generation I could appreciate the synths but it was the drums that got me. it also didn't hurt that Roni Size himself was a wet dream waiting to happen (i'll admit I like "older" men)...I went from being "the weird girl" at school to the "even weirder girl". I cared what they thought about me but not enough to stop digging for more music.

When I relocated to DC in '03 my interest in D&B wained over the years as did my interest in most music. it wasn't until i got an ipod for my 22nd birthday that i started going though itunes catalogs and realizing that i had a musical void in my life. I made acquaintances with a girl i saw at Modern often and through conversation we both realized we both loved D&B. Though her I found out about High Contrast and Klute and i fell in love all over again.

no point to this entry....

2 comments:

Steve said...

Word! I didn't know there were any women that "loved" D&B? But then I don't get out much.

-Steve
spage7@yahoo.com

Steve said...

Hey! It's Steve again. Just had to let you know I was in Borders tonight going through the magazine section. And what did I see? The August issue (CM128) of Computer Music with the focus this month on Drum 'n' Bass Masterclass: The essential guide to DnB production in 2008, featuring tips, walkthroughs and video tutorials from Sub Focus, Clipz, TC, Chase & Status and DJ Hazard!

It came with a 7.7GB DVD-ROM. So I think I will play around with the software and samples. Comes with 2,141 Drum 'N' Bass samples.

-Steve